Monday, February 14, 2011

Misdirection 2

EPISODE 2

It was about half-past five (5:30PM) when she appeared in my doorway.  She was tall, dressed to the nines, and had a look that could drop packets.

She entered the room quickly -- as though she didn't want anyone to see her.



"Hello?" she said.


"Good evening, ma'am.  What can I do for you?" I asked.


"I need some help." she began, "I need someone who knows computers."


"I know a little something" I said


"..but they must be able to keep things private." she warned.

"I'm as private as 10.0.0.1, lady." I assured her. "What can I help you with?"

"I made a number of purchases online.  Afterwards someone stole a large sum of money from my account."

"I'm sorry to hear about that ma'am.  Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions?"


"I suppose not.  That is why I'm here."


"Okay.  Where did you go online?"


"Well, I went to the Bottega Ricco website."


"What?"  I interrupted.  "That high-end joint downtown?  Wow, you really do have some expensive taste, lady."


She shot him an icy look,  "Uh, right.  Sorry.  Bottega Ricco.  Go on."


"... and I watched a couple of movies on Netflix.  That's about it.  Oh, wait.  I also purchased some cosmetics."


"What did you purchase , ma'am?  And what was the name of the website?"


"I purchased some hand-made, organic, lipstick from a site a friend recommended -- LavishCosmetics.com."



"I see.  One last thing, what is your name ma'am?"


"Sheraton." she replied, "Vienna Sheraton."


"Alight, Ms. Sheraton.  My name is Joe Failsafe.  I'll take your case and let you know what I find out.


"Thank you, Mr. Failsafe."

The following afternoon I checked the websites that Ms. Sheraton provided.  First I called Bottega Ricco, a high-class clothing joint downtown.  I spoke with a Mr. Delicato who show me how they handle data and credit card information and assured me that they followed industry best practices.

The most likely source for trouble had to be that cosmetics website that Sheraton went to.  Upon inspecting the site, I began to suspect that that was where the crime occurred.

I'd seen this kind of thing before, and I knew just who to call.

No comments: